Fear of Flying Hypnotherapy
Call 029 2209 3092 Now
To Change Your Life
Why is it that some people look forward to going away on a well-earned holiday with their partner, whilst other people find it fills them with dread? Not that the person doesn’t realise how important a need it is to recharge batteries, but because they are uncomfortable getting on a plane. Here’s how to solve the problem, and how fear of flying hypnotherapy will help.
Maybe this started in early childhood. Maybe it happened because a bad experience. Maybe it started at a time in your life when you were under a lot of stress. Maybe you don’t know. One thing is for sure: it’s getting worse, to the point where it could eat away at your self-confidence and affect other areas of your life.
How Much Do You Love Your Partner?
I’ve worked with many people to overcome their fear of flying and my sessions are uniquely tailored to their needs. But you might like to see some of the common processes and themes that I use. They key is that you need to tap into your motivation.
If your motivation isn’t strong enough that you want to change today, then it probably won’t happen. However, there is a process you can go through to intensify this – by seeing what you will personally lose if you stay the same and don’t change. Clients tell me that they got to the point they knew they had to change when they realised that the real danger in avoiding overcoming this fear is that you will have an unhappy partner, who never has the opportunity to enjoy a proper holiday abroad.
For other clients, it is the thought of passing on a fear to their children that makes them think, “enough is enough”.
I’m often asked “How can hypnosis and NLP help a person overcome fear of flying?”
This is an outline of the hypnoanalysis and coaching approach that I’ve found works really well with my clients to help them get the changes they really want.
Step #1 – IDENTIFY TRIGGERS
Some of these may be obvious, but some are in your mind. Fear of flying is a cumulative set of thoughts and feelings across a range of contexts and over time that acts unconsciously to produce a feeling of “dread” or some other feeling that causes a person to act illogically and prevent them taking action that is probably in their highest good.
WHICH OF THESE FEAR OF FLYING “TRIGGERS” DO YOU RECOGNISE?
- Phoning up and arranging the flights
- Sitting in front your computer and thinking about making the booking
- “Worrying” about your holiday weeks before you get on the plane
- Seeing the confirmation letter and flight tickets arrive in the post
- Being in the Taxi or driving to airport and seeing planes overhead
- Checking in/ being asked to show your passports
- Visualising your airplane crashing on takeoff
- Picturing your plane sitting there on runway and getting a real kick inside the gut
- Walking along the staircase or corridor to board the plane
- The sound of engines starting
- Worry about turbulence
- Imagining being on plane and having a panic attack – with nowhere to go
- Having a rough landing
- Thinking about the return journey whilst you are abroad, and how you’ll manage it coming back from holiday
It is important to take time to consider the obvious and hidden trigger points in your mind. Your brain makes associations (“synaesthesias”) between the sounds and pictures and links these to feelings unconsciously (through the inter-action of the limbic system and reptilian brain). This happens so quickly and so unconsciously that you can’t change this, unless you do it at the unconscious level.
Step #2 – INCREASE MOTIVATION
What will the cost of not changing be for you?
If you don’t choose hypnotherapy and carry on as you are, what will you be like a year from now? How will that impact your self-confidence and your relationship?
I take a lot of time to help clients get clear on their motivation, because once the desire to change in burning, it happens much faster and naturally. Desire is different from thinking, “I should” or “Maybe”. You are certain and you go for it.
Step #3 – DECIDE THE STATES (EMOTIONS) YOU NEED TO FEEL TO OVERCOME THIS FEAR
Once you have your reasons, you need to detailed way to access the feelings that will come up in different contexts. These could include:
- Sense of achievement
These needs must be tailored to you: What do YOU need to feel to get on a plane?
If you could feel the relief of overcoming this fear as a result of hypnosis, how would that improve your confidence and help your relationships?
Wouldn’t you feel more relaxed if you knew you could get this area of your life handled?
These states are essential to your success and the only way you can access them is by identifying them. Generally, the fastest way is working with an NLP specialist who works with the unconscious mind.
Step #4 – BREAK THE OLD ASSOCIATIONS
Now we need to find ways to break the way you feel in those contexts. The skilled master practitioner of NLP and hypnotherapy has a number of cutting-edge tools they can use to help you change your mind:
- Breaking the automatic feeling in situations
- Get into a deeply relaxed state to reduce feelings of unease and as a gateway to the other states you need to feel
- Mentally rehearse success whilst in trance
- Use your imagination whilst in trance to mentally rehearse getting on a plane
- Use your unconscious imagination to look for potential problems and identify specially how you will manage those situations e.g. turbulence, so you can successful get on a plane
- Use metaphors that influence and generate to new behaviours to your unconscious mind
- Learn powerful forms of self-hypnosis so you can prevent a sense of panic or turn anxiety into calm in a matter of seconds
Step #5 – FEEL THE TOTAL SATISFACTION OF GOING ON HOLIDAY
I wouldn’t tell you to book hypnotherapy today because you need to get all the facts. That’s why I offer a free informal conversation.
A skill hypnotherapist can help guide you to overcome the blocks, as long as you see the need and feel that intense motivation to overcome this. You can do it. Plenty of my clients have done before you. You can too.
Here’s What My Satisfied Fear of Flying Hypnotherapy Clients Are Saying:-
Hi Richard, Just a quick note to say a big ‘thank you’. After completing your ‘Flying Without Fear’ course I recently flew to Barcelona with a totally different mind set. At no time during the flight there or back did I feel any panic or apprehension. In fact I enjoyed both flights immensely – even when we had bad turbulence during landing. So thanks again for turning something that was becoming a severe problem into a real pleasure! All the best. Rob
– Rob Evans, Cardiff
Hi Richard, Its Gary From Pembs. Just a line to say a massive thanks to you for the 2 sessions I had with you. I made it to Cuba – and back to Cardiff … I give myself 7/10 on the way out to Cuba and 8/10 on the way back . Anyway thanks again and see you soon.